Saturday, March 10, 2007

Windows firewall ... reloaded.

Somebody notice that it was a really short post about the Windows Firewall. Yes, it is true, it is a really short post about it because is nothing to say about it. It is a firewall.... but is not the smartest of them. For windows I really recommend a real firewall product. Unfortunatly you have to pay for it. If you want' security that's the only way on windows.
I think the best of all is the Avira Premium Security, is a integrated product that contain a firewall and also a very good antivirus. I think the best antivirus from the following reasons:

  • They have the best detection rate (Check www.av-comparatives.org and www.virusbtn.com)
  • Is very fast and it has a low memory footprint.
  • They have a nice simple interface, without fancy stupid stuff.
  • They have a grate response time. (They are usually the first that detect new samples in case of outbrakes)
  • They have a grate customer support and feedback.
  • They have also a product on Linux.
  • They have a free version that can be used at home.
  • Is not expensive.
So my opinion is that if you need security you should really buy a complete product that also protect you against viruses.

9 comments:

moody_mermaid said...

I've been trying to link other people's blogs to my blog since a very long time ... but owing to sum unknown reasons havent been able to do so till now .. u on d other hand seem 2 b very good at such stuff .. can u please help me wid dis??

MagisterForan said...

For private use I indeed recommend Avira antivirus, but combined with a free ZoneAlarm firewall.

Just my 2cents (€uro-cents, that is)

chumly said...

I am thinking of buying a MAC how good are they with firewalls etc.?

Lexa Roséan said...

it would be great if you would add the next blog button to the top of your blog. things run more smoothly when you don't stop the flow.
thanks

admin said...

Real Nice Blog, I love it, You have my appreciation for doing such a nice job.

jettero said...

What I want is iptables for windows. Even if it was just a brain-dead netsh script mapping in python/perl/etc it'd be good enough for me.

jettero said...

What I want is iptables for windows. The windows firewall does many of the common iptables tasks. It's just a matter of someone creating a mapping using perl/python and netsh (or something like that) I bet.

The GUI kinda bugs me... I also wonder about the feasibility of actually porting netfilter to windows. It's probably not reasonable, but I wonder about it.

Bijoy said...

well its an excellent post you have here on windows fire wall, i really enjoyed reading it, will be back soon.Do keep up the good work
regards Biby - Blog

Xilly said...

Nice Blog. Will come again.